Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Design Major: Paris Spring 09 Paul Smith

-Paul Smith was another one of the shows that ranked somewhere in the middle for me. Overall it left no major impression on me, but there are a few standout looks and a few tactics I could see myself working in this spring. The tell-tale Sir Paul stripes were omnipresent as expected, but an undertone of heroin rock kept the collection fresh.
-You know the drill, photos and analysis of our favorite looks after the jump.


-This look seems to fit with the 80s renaissance thats happening lately (for better or worse). Or maybe I'm just in that mode because I just watched American Psycho. Either way it's spring.

-This look is a little more my taste. I love the tie tuck, I think it is hands down one of the most under utilized tactics. Be mindful though, it only works with a wider tie, and one with sheen. So try it when you're not rocking the hipster ultra skinny neckwear.

-This is pretty ridiculous, but I included it just because, it's ridiculous. I would rock the pants.

-I really like the hint of casual nonchalance with the rolled up suit pant and colored socks. This is just a great three piece, I'd probably lose the jacket. This is another example of a look you might be able to achieve for a fraction of the price if you went with a brand like Ben Sherman.

-Again the rolled pants are innovative (with a suit) and I like the denim shirt and air tie breaking up the monotony of business. Also, there has been a lot of unique belt action this spring, I don't yet know how I feel about it. You'll see more what I mean when we do Etro.

-I've never seen a double-breasted cardi, that's pretty fresh.

-Of course I'm loving the boat shoes, Sperry makes them in this same color for about $60. I was just looking at my seersucker today thinking of ways to utilize it. The top and scarf here are a bit feminine for me but the ideal of a light scarf and a light seersucker is great for spring/summer.

-Word.
All photos by Marcio Madeira via men.style.com

No comments: