Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Design Major: Paris Spring 09 Viktor and Rolf

-I seem to be a minority in my appreciation for the Viktor and Rolf show. Every review I've read and every person I've talked to about it seems to detest the collection. I don't really know why but I liked quite a few pieces from this show. For a designing duo equally known for their work as installation artists as for their clothes, I think you've got to look at V&R through a different sort of lens than you would more conventional labels. The risks they take may be hated by many, but at least their not expected.
-As before, photos and analysis of our favorite looks after the jump.


-If you can't see the detail, this print is supposed to be some sort of bamboo motif. The whoel show was supposed to have a 50s vacation kind of feel. I don't necessarily love the print, but I love the idea of a printed or pattered trench, because their almost exclusively monotone.

-I like that the suit jacket here is replaced by a more field-jacket type, it makes the whole feel much younger. Really like the pin on the tie, great accessory.

-Forget the lei here and I really like the look. Patterned embroidery was big last year but I really like the martini print. I've got a martini printed tie from J.Crew that I love. Having a cohesive print on the pants and the shirt seems a little out there but it gives an almost suit-like feel, being that theres a share element throughout.

-Again, the lei is kind of ridiculous but I am really starting to dig that print. It would be much less effective, however, if the cut of the suit wren;t perfect.

-I've always loved designer takes on letterman's jackets. It's such a classic Americana form. I saw Pharrel in a custom P letterman one time and it blew my mind. I bought a vintage one in the same colorway as the Pharrel at Ray's Ragtime and it's one of my favorite jackets. Needless to say, I dig this one, especially the glasses patch.

-I would love this without the jacket. It looks a little bro, but just that glasses sweatshirt and the martini pants would be a fresh combo.

-I really love the combo here. The ultra-sheen of the pants and the tech jacket over a pretty bland top and a bit of tie peaking out. I think I mentioned in an earlier post about mixing synthetic fabrics (like the jacket) and more elegant pieces.

All photos by Peter Stiger via men.style.com

No comments: