Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Music Theory: For the Visual Learners

-I don't even know why I did this, but I put together a little diagram (aka resized 6 photos) of the tunes I'm digging as of late, complete with super mini-reviews. Click to make it bigger.

-I've been listening to Emarosa's first E.P. for awhile now, mainly because they use a microKORG, the greatest instrument ever invented. The new album, Relativity is really, really good. If you like Circa Survive or Saosin, but you know, you're sick of Anthony Green's ridiculous whine, check this disc out.
-The KiD CuDi mixtape has been buzzin lately and I heard about it from my guy Yeezy, it's dope. Nuff said.
-The new Ratatat, LP3 is fucking nuts, game over status, ridiculous, amazing. I read somewhere that they recorded in some southern 70s style studio with analog gear, and you can definitely hear the groove vibe on this one.
-I've talked a lot of shit about Girl Talk in the past, mostly because I could do what he does if I had the time and money, but I'm starting to come around. Not only to I give props for going the Radiohead route and releasing a digital album, after checking out the complete list of insane samples, and reading a bit about this album, I give props to a budding musical genius. But not too many props.
-Rising Down, The Roots' latest disc, is kind of old, but I just got it (finally) and it may be the best Roots disc ever. Everyone loved Game Theory but I didn't really like it. This album has great beats, and great collaborations, including a track featuring Saigon, the Entourage alum and undisputed most underrated rapper in the game.
-The Cab is gonna blow up soon. Check out "High Hopes and Velvet Ropes." It might be the first radio hit not from Akon and T-Pain to artfully (and subtly) use autotune.

No comments: