Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Design Major: Paris Spring 09 Kris Van Assche

-I've already mentioned how KVA is one of my favorite designers, and how we pretty much predicted his miraculous ascent, but this show was a bit of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it is a solid and unmistakably KVA offering, I just expected a bit more in the way of progression. It's definitely interesting to note the contrasts between KVA's own line and his work for Dior Homme. The latter tending to be a much more Euro-centric, slim silhouetted, and dreary in it's aesthetics. Despite a bit of disappointment, I've selected a few things that kept me hopeful for future collections from KVA.
-As always, photos and analysis of our favorite looks after the jump.


-The sheen and the vest-trouser with no jacket combo is pretty stock KVA, but the rolled pants, belt, and the way the vest is buttoned are all nice accents. I also really like that KVA uses sneakers in his shows, it's a real sign of his youth among so many well-established designers.


-Again, a classic shirt/trouser combo amped up with a colored belt, rolled pant legs and sneakers.

-Unusual belting like I've mentioned in almost every review this year. I'm still undecided about it. I'd hate to see a repeat of the ties as belts trend.

-I really love the athletic pants cut as a trouser, these could be worked into so many interesting outfits, this one is a little lackluster but it lets us do the imagining.

Overall, I'm looking for more in the future and not losing faith in one of the best young designers around today, even though this and the Dior Homme show didn't excite me much.

All photos by
Marcio Madeira via men.style.com















No comments: