Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lecture Series: Jason Dill by Don Pendleton

-Watching Jason Dill in a skate video or as a house guest on The Osbornes, I never really grasped the enviable breadth of his opinions. If you don't know, Dill is skate legend, but has lately been getting press in the art circle for his photographic efforts. Black Lodge has an interview with Dill up now, it is a bit long, but great read for anyone into photography, the clothing industry, skateboarding, general misanthropy, or reactionary points of view.
-I've extracted a couple excerpts that relate to things we've posted on recently -
Dill on streetwear: "I made a clothing company and I've got fucking skateboard rappers wearing it. And I've got Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend wearing it on the E! Channel or whatever. I don't want that. And people wearing it on the covers of their fucking lame albums. Fucking dumb. I hate everything."
...
"like the Hundreds and Crooks and Castles are putting out such fucking intelligent bullshit. I think I'm going to get a tattoo of a fucking bomb with a face on it....give me a break."
...and on smoking: "You're not going to be able to smoke at a bar in Paris, France? Come on. Fuck you"
-The excerpts don't really capture the rogue spirit that comes through as Dill explains living in transit sans technology. It was one of the most refreshing interviews I've read this year. A great part is when Dill argues that skateboarding isn't a sport, which is a point of view you wouldn't expect form someone who's living has been made entirely off of skateboarding.
-You can download a Jason Dill created Etnies x Fucking Awesome photobook in PDF form here, if this interview interested you, the PDF will as well.
-I saw this originally on skatedaily

No comments: