Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dress Code: Still Deep

-Hands down, the record I listened to the most this summer was Mobb Deep's The Infamous. Queensbridge's second best rap outfit came out with their definitive album back in 1995, and since then it has been sampled heavily by everyone from Sublime to The Game to our own Blue Scholars.



-Apparently, I'm not the only one to recently rediscover this classic record. I've been seeing a flurry of Mobb-related activity from several companies, including Crooks and Castles. According to Hypebeast, the above tee is part of their fall release.

-Laced Up has also been paying tribute to the Mobb, specifically with this shirt, which is straight off of the album cover. Mobb Deep's Prodigy is currently incarcerated on gun charges, but is still managing to make tapes and even movies from prison. If the above shirts just don't cut it, cop your own "Free P" shirt at his website.

-On a similar note, I bought this shirt in New York to give some love to another one of Queens' incarcerated heroes, my man Dwight Gooden. My dad was a fan of the drug-addled phenom, and the first shirt I ever owned was a baby Mets tee, so I had to stick with the roots on this one. Kids, don't do drugs.

No comments: