Saturday, August 2, 2008

Faculty: Inspi(red) by Spike

-I found this announcement of a Spike Jonze x Eric Koston x Girl x Product Red skate deck oddly enough not on any of the skate sites I check daily, but on Kanye's blog. Seeing this really made me sit back and ponder the incredible career of Spike Jonze.
-I first became aware of Spike Jonze after seeing Being John Malkovich, which has become one of my favorite films of all time. What makes that amazing is that lately, as I've gotten back into skating, I've been watching Lakai's Fully Flared almost daily. Since it's debut last year, Fully Flared has been widely hailed as the greatest skate video of all time. And guess what? It's directed by Spike Jonze. When I first saw BJM I had no idea that Spike was already an underground hero for classic music videos such as "Sabotage" by The Beastie Boys or Weezer's "Undone." Although my co-editor disagree on the merits of Jonze's lackluster follow-up to BJM, Adaptation, I'm blown away by the fact that a man can shoot skateboarding in hi-def, and turn the choppings of hours and hours of slamming and sliding into cinematic genius with the same ease and attention to detail as his feature films.
-I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, in a youth culture in which the optimum goal is to be able to sustain yourself whilst doing that which you love, there seems no greater role model than Spike Jonze.
-Oh yeah, he also helped create Jackass, one of the most influential television programs of our era.

No comments: