Monday, August 11, 2008

Music Theory: A Faint Fasciinatiion


-The Faint albums Blank Wave Arcade, Danse Macabre, Danse Macabre Remixes, and Wet From Birth are the soundtrack of almost every great party memory I have from high school. Those memories, coupled with one of the most amazing live shows I've ever seen, have cemented The Faint as one of my all-time favorite bands. Not to mention the huge influence they've had on my own music.
-So when I heard that the band was releasing a new album, Fasciinatiion, I was predictably excited. The album was released on the band's own label, Blank .wav. Records. This marks the first time the band has released an album away from the Omaha based indie powerhouse Saddle Creek. I've listened to it a few times through now and I've got mixed feelings. The composition is more complex and admirable then ever, but there isn't a track with a ultra-catchy driving hook like "Southern Belles in London," or "Worked Up So Sexual." Also, the overall tone of songs seems to be more reliant on bassier synth lines.
-The album will assuredly be an major part of my danse-party playlist this upcoming party season, but because of the memories and history I have with the band's prior albums, this one just isn't resonating with me in that o.g. Faint way.
-The album's best moments come on the decidedly darker sounding "Fulcrum and Lever," and the uncharacteristically poppy "Fish in a Womb."
-Overall this is a great disc, I give it an A. Video for the song "The Geeks Were Right," on the bands Web site.

No comments: