Monday, March 23, 2009

Required Reading: Van Sant x Efron


-Sorry the above photo is NSFLibrary, but it was the obvious choice when deciding which photo to steal for this post. I'm not really a fan of Zac Efron, but I'm not a hater either: As someone who's been involved with music and theater, I've got a solid respect for people who can gain success in pop entertainment, as sugary as it may be. 
-That being said, I really need to get a subscription to Interview. This month's cover story is an interview of Efron by acclaimed Portland film maker Gus Van Sant (who I met at a casting call for Paranoid Park, I could have played that part!)  Van Sant approaches the interview humbly, but there is a slight sense that he feels the need to educate the young star a bit. The interaction and appreciation between them both seems genuine though, and it reminded me of the very similar but fictionalized relationship between Van Sant and Vinnie Chase in the most recent season of Entourage. Most of the article is available on the Interview web site, though you have to pick up the print edition for the full read. Either way, it's a good read for fans of Van Sant, Efron and film in general. 

No comments: