Monday, August 3, 2009

Film School: The Dangerous Task of Adapting Dorian Gray

-Here is the trailer for the big-screen adaptation of Oscar Wilde's classic The Picture of Dorian Gray. Dorian is one of my all-time favorite novels and so I could easily jump on the hater bandwagon, but I'm willing to at least see it first. I've got some respect for Colin Firth (because of his role in the 6-hour Pride and Prejudice, not his role in Nanny McPhee,) and I've got no respect for the kid from Prince Caspian because I watched that movie with no sound on the train and it just looked like a bunch of kids playing with swords in a field.
-Commenters over at iWatchstuff are already bitching about how the movie neglects the obvious-to-anyone-with-a-3rd-grade-reading-level homoerotic element of the book which, although a valid complaint, doesn't ruin the idea for me. The movie will probably suck, but that doesn't mean a modern twist on Dorian is an offense to Wilde, it's just a movie.

No comments: